Samsung has really taken the consumer experience, the expectations and demands in consideration of what people expected from “The Next Galaxy” phone in line to the successful and the almighty Galaxy S II. The phone now has been officially unraveled at the Samsung Mobile Unpacked 2012 event in London, and is named “Samsung Galaxy S III – Designed for Humans“.
The event could probably be summed up as the biggest launch event of the year indeed. Samsung has really gone far and reached the limits of sophistication ad brought them in the phone in an intuitive and yet a very simple experience. The tag line “Designed for Humans” stands justified here as the phone is designed for one to speak his heart out, be near to his family and friends and moreover, the phone is nature-friendly. It is indeed “Truly inspired by Nature“.
The phone according to Samsung listens to what we listen, Sees what we see and performs want we want it to perform. It will provide an extra-ordinary performance and a never-ever before seen user experience. Now lets move on to the specification of the phone one-by-one.
The phone is designed so beautifully with Natural Ergonomics that it fits in the hand easily and provides a pure organic feel. The phone is designed keeping the nature very close in mind and thus offers a minimal organic and peaceful design and is available for sale in two colors – “Marble White” and “Purple Blue”, which I have to admit look amazingly stunning.
The screen size though now has gotten 22% larger, but the overall size of the phone is still considerably small, which is quite stunning and the phone is just 8.6mm in width and weighs just 133 gm.
The bezel is very slim as we already mentioned above and the phone comes along with a 4.8″ HD Super AMOLED display which is crystal clear even at the angular widths and renditions true color to the eyes of the observer and is clear even in the brightest of light.
User Interface :
As already mentioned above, Samsung has tried to keep the interface of the phone as possible as close to nature and thus the phone has a full nature based UI. The first thing that catches our attention pinpointing towards this is the Info Lock Screen Wallpaper which when touched gives an experience of Ripples in water with the actual sound. All the ringtones and sounds which come pre-bundled along with the handset are inspired and taken from nature.
Samsung has tried to keep “Everything Natural” and they have pretty much succeeded in their effort so far.
Hardware Specifications :
The phone houses a Quad-Core Exynos processor which is, I have to admit very powerful. The phone has a response time of 0.0.1 seconds and that was truly visible in the video demo, where the phone showed no lag at all, it was like whirling your fingers in the water. The apps loaded very quickly in comparison to its predecessor and the quick response speeds adds up to the battery life. The battery being housed in the handset is of 2100 mAh capacity.
The phone is available in 3G and LTE variants which will be available around May end starting from Europe, then Asia, middle East and Latin America. The 4G version will hit North America, Japan, and Korea during this summer.
The back camera consists of a 8 MP sensor with a Bright LED flash and supports intelligent features. The back camera provides full HD recording support with features like:
- Zero Shutter Lag in which the image is clicked at the very moment the button is pressed, so you don’t have to worry about missing any moment and it returns back to the Camera Mode in less than 1 second. Now, that’s FAST.
- Image Burst Mode which is capable of taking 20 images in a single burst and takes approximately 3.3 images per second.
- Best Photo Select option automatically selects the best image among the images shot in image burst mode, thus making your work easier.
- Face Zoom.
- Group-Tag option which recognizes the faces of persons present in a phone with a media library and automatically send them the pic.
The front camera is of 1.9 MP and offers 720p HD support and one can take Still-Shots while shooting a video, perform image stabilization to reduce the blur and it also has a illumination sensor to improve the light in the background.
The Galaxy S III packs with a total of 6 sensors and thus brings some extra-ordinary features to the desk as follows:
- Smart Stay which uses the front-facing camera to detect if you’re looking at it, so it knows whether to keep the screen awake or not.
- S Voice - A feature which listens, responds quickly and understands 8 different languages.
- Amidst texting someone, if you decide to call them instead, just simply raise the Galaxy S III to your ear and the Direct Call feature activates.
- The new Smart Alert feature ensures that you don’t miss notifications, while the Social Tag keeps you up-to-date with your friends and family by using Face Recognition which recognizes faces of friends from phone or a pic and links it to social media gallery.
- S Beam which bonds instantly combined with NFC and WiFi Direct to make it even more powerful and faster.
- All-Share Cast which mirrors video on phone to TV wirelessly via WiFi Direct.
- Group Cast, a feature that lets one share a thing ( video presentation file, etc) on a multi network wirelessly with everyone having access to edit the file.
- Pop up Play is another innovative feature which lets you play a video and search web at the same time and then a simple touch to return back to the video. Pure Multi-tasking.
- Wi-Fi Channel Bonding is also a pre-bundled feature which doubles the Wi-Fi bandwidth.
- Experiential features include 3 Hubs (Game, Video, Music), mobile payment and S Health, personal wellness app.
- In-call Sound Equalizer boosts sounds and make them louder and clear.
Samsung surprised the people in this section also by making some of the astonishing accessories which have been never introduced before which include:
- Wireless charger.
- Flip cover.
- Battery charging stand.
- Desktop dock and car dock.
- Extra battery kit.
- All-Share Cast Dongle.
- HD TV adapter.
Samsung plans to unveil more details at the US World Tour and also announced that they will be releasing the SDK’s and API’s to third-party developers for development of apps on this platform. The Samsung Galaxy S III truly justifies the statement of a “Product Created with Humanity at Heart“.
Here is the first video commercial of the Samsung Galaxy S III :