So finally the wait is over and the doors to freedom have been opened. Yes, the Absinthe 2.0 is finally out which will untether jailbreak your iOS device running iOS 5.1.1. After months of sleepless effort, Pod2g has finally released the untethered jailbreak during the HITB conference.
So we have discussed a lot about all the jailbreak stuff in the earlier posts, so without waiting I would come to the point as to how to jailbreak the device using Absinthe and which devices are supported and which are not. As we all know, Absinthe 2.0 is the simplest GUI based tool designed to jailbreak an iDevice.
Also, the guys who already have a tethered jailbreak on iOS 5.1.1, you don’t need to perform a fresh jailbreak as there is again something similar to Corona this time code-named “Rocky Racoon 5.1.1 Untether” which is a Cydia installer package which will convert your tethered jailbreak to an untethered one and do remember uninstalling the package in future will un-jailbreak your device.
So here is the list of supported devices:
- iPhone 4S
- iPhone 4
- iPhone 3Gs
- iPad (3rd Gen)
- iPad 2
- iPad 1
- iPod Touch 3G/4G
- Apple TV (2nd Gen)
(Support for the new iPad will be added later)
Warning: If you rely only on a software based unlock to unlock your iPhone 3Gs/4/4S, do not upgrade your device to iOS 5.1.1 and use Absinthe, as you might end up loosing your baseband and consequently the unlock. You might wanna wait a while till the Devs give a green signal and introduce Redsnow compatibility.
Here are the steps as narrated by Pod2g himself to perform the jailbreak if you have an unjailbroken device:
1. Make a backup of your device in iTunes by right clicking on your device name under the ‘Devices’ menu and click ‘Back Up’.
2. Once your backup is complete return to your device and go to Settings – General – Reset – Erase all Content and Settings. This will make the jailbreak process much faster.
3. Open Absinthe and be sure you are still connected via USB cable to your computer.
4. Click ‘Jailbreak’ and wait…. just be patient and do not disconnect your device.
5. Once jailbroken return to iTunes and restore your backup from earlier. Right click on your device name under the ‘Devices’ menu in the left panel of iTunes and click ‘Restore from Back Up…’ then select the latest backup you created before. (restoring this backup will return all the content previously on your device ie, apps, photos, etc.)
And for people already on tethered jailbreak, just install the already mentioned above “Rocky Racoon” package from Cydia by just performing the search and confirming to install. If you use a Command Line Interface (CLI) tool, then you can follow the steps mentioned at RedmondPie here.
Here are the links to download Absinthe 2.0 for various platforms:
Once again we would like to thank all the members of Chronic-Dev Team, Pod2g and all the other members for their hard-work and effort. Also we would like to remind you that “Jailbreaking is not meant for application piracy and we are totally against it.”